Raising Debt and
The directors at Ballard Evans are highly experienced at developing funding solutions for clients, whether in the form of debt or equity finance.
We have an extensive network of contacts within all of the major UK banks, as well as relationships with specialist funders such as private equity/venture capital firms, debt funds, asset-based lenders and regional development funds.
We work with our clients to understand their business and its financing requirements, both immediate and future. We then work with the funders to obtain the best offer and assist our client through the due diligence and legal processes. The key to a successful fundraising is preparation. Prior to approaching any funders, we:
- Review the client’s business, consider the proposed transaction and review the client’s objectives in undertaking the transaction.
- Assist management in the preparation of a business plan and detailed financial projections.
- Put together a structure which meets the client’s requirements, provides a margin of comfort and minimises cost (in terms of debt servicing and/or equity dilution).
- Identify and help to address any issues the funder may have in advance of entering into a process e.g. gaps in the management team or weak accountancy function.
Once we have a full understanding of the client’s business, we prepare a marketing document which discloses enough information for the funders to establish whether they have an interest, without going into excessive detail.
We project manage the process and lead all negotiations, which include the following:
- Marketing the proposal to prospective funders – we will only market to those funders who from our knowledge and experience would have an appetite for such a transaction.
- Collate the offers of funding, assess each offer using our knowledge of pricing and terms and look to improve the offers where possible.
- Review the offers with the client and assist in choosing the most suitable.
- We negotiate the terms of the transaction in great detail and work closely with the clients appointed legal advisors to ensure all documentation reflects the agreed financial and commercial terms of the deal.
- We assist the client through the due diligence process, dealing with requests for information and minimising the requirements on the client.